Title: Development Worker
Budget: £3000 on a freelance basis
Tollcross Community Action Network (TCAN) is a community network of individuals and organisations living and working in Tollcross. We are a registered charity (SC046352). We want to see a vibrant and inclusive community where local culture, people and business thrive to fulfil their potential. We achieve this through:
• Providing services which meet the needs of local people;
• Bringing people together for community events and activities;
• Speaking out on issues that matter in Tollcross
Since forming in 2015, we have arranged various events including a Winter Festival and Christmas Light͛s switch on. Recently, we have organised ͚hustings͛ for elections and an evening with the leader of the opposition at the Scottish Parliament.
In July 2017 we opened a new Community Advice and Information Hub (one morning a week) in Tollcross with a Citizens Advice worker, food-bank, community café and information point. Until this point, TCAN had been run by volunteers, however we have now secured further funding to develop the organisation and the Community Hub service, increasing links with interested groups and individuals in the local area.
You will be joining a dynamic and passionate team at a very exciting time for the organisation.
You can read more about Tollcross Community Action Network at www.tollcross.org.uk
TCAN are seeking a suitably experienced consultant working on a freelance basis, to develop the organisation, primarily through the Community Hub and networking with local organisations, businesses and residents. The post/contract is for 10 hours a week, worked flexibly, but to include a Thursday morning. The length of contact is initially for 6 months with the possibility for extension (subject to renewed funding).
• The consultant will run the Hub in the first instance, and recruit and train volunteers to take on this role in the future.
• There is an initial requirement to work on a Thursday morning at the Hub, with the remainder of the hours worked flexibly.
• The consultant will promote and develop the hub, making contacts and relationships with interested groups and individuals to set up new services in the hub.
• The consultant will support the work of the organisation as required including: supporting the administration of board meetings, assisting with events and co-ordinating a monthly e-news to TCAN supporters.
• The consultant will also develop TCAN's relationships with local residents; helping to raise public awareness on issues relevant to the community, ensuring local people are included in decisions which affect their area and identifying community skills, assets, issues and needs.
Interested parties should submit their proposal for a delivery plan which will set out their proposals for the development of the TCAN Community Hub. This should clearly set out how you propose to create networks with other organisations, recruit and support volunteers and expand the Hub's current offering.
The delivery plan should be no more than 4 sides of A4.
In addition, please submit your CV and a short personal statement which demonstrates:
1)Your skills including: communication, organisational and project management skills and ability motivate others and build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
2)Your knowledge of community development approaches and why you are interested in this opportunity.
Please send your application to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday, 10th of November
For more information please contact the chair of TCAN, Pamela Lyall on 07778384150
You can download a copy of the full job description here: